DOH: 64 healthcare facilities damaged by earthquake

The Health Ministry said 64 health facilities were damaged due to the 7.0 magnitude earthquake that recently hit Abra province and other regions on Wednesday morning.

At a press conference, Deputy Secretary Beverly Ho, acting spokeswoman for the DOH, said 8 hospitals, 28 rural health units and 18 health posts in Barangay were damaged.

“The DOH is on the ground helping our earthquake-affected kababayans,” Ho said.

The DOH said representatives had been sent to the area to verify and assess the situation in CAR.

Assistant Secretary Nestor Santiago, with this team, is currently in the region to join Regional Director Rio Magpantay of the Center for Health Development – Cordillera Administrative Region (CHD-CAR) to personally assess the status of health workers and their facilities.

The DOH assured that they are exhausting all efforts to ensure that health services are not impeded in these times of calamity and that their needs are met by their implementing units.

According to the results of the CHD-CAR, 272 injured including 19 hospitalized; 4 dead while 4 are still missing.

Likewise, DOH Central Office is on the ground with Local Government Units (LGUs) and has already extended its assistance by dispatching trucks carrying 20

tents, 200 cots, hygiene kits, medicines and other supplies.

“Two medical teams from Ilocos Regional Medical and Training Center and Mariano Marcos Memorial Hospital and Medical Center have been deployed to the sites. Abra Provincial Hospital is also providing assistance and is supported by the DOH,” Ho said.

Image credits: Wikipedia

Comments are closed.